How-To Establish Common Libraries
We have developed a number of resources – which draw upon lessons learned from establishing The Waiting Room in Colchester – to help others interested in supporting community publishing.
Before you Begin…
Our tool-kit serves as a beginner’s guide to help you get started – whether you’re a
- library service provider interested in forging links with creative individuals in your local area;
- considering the introduction of a maker space in your library building; or
- want to explore how to establish an integrated library-hack-makerspace.
We recommend you read the resources in order to get the most out of the tool-kit:
- What is a Common Library? – know your Onions!
- Understanding the Landscape – getting to know the area that you operate in, its creative “scene”
- Mapping and Categorising Creatives – building a directory of local creatives
- Planning your Common Library – organising the space you have available to best effect
- Programming your first Event – programming, scheduling and promotion
- Building Local Partnerships with Groups, Sponsors and Retailers – working with existing groups, local retailers and sponsors to make your events a success
- Generating an Income – business models, membership bodies, joint ventures & maker kits
- Growing your Common Library – creating maker instructions and kits